Recipe adapted from The Litter Teochew
Steamed Moist Chocolate Cake
- 1/2 cup light oil (I used Olive Oil)
- 185g castor sugar
- 200ml fresh milk (just about 1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with a folk
- 110g cake/plain flour (about 1 cup ... I used self raising flour turn out well)
- 60g good quality unsweetened cocoa powder ( I used chocolate powder)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 packet instant coffee (I used 1 sachet Nescafe 2-in-1 which is 11g)
1. Heat up your steamer or wok before making the cake.
2. Line and grease a 9-inch pan.
3.(A) Combine castor sugar, fresh milk and instant coffee in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. You do NOT need to come to a boil. Once all ingredients are combined, turn off the fire and leave it on the stove to cool.
(B) In the meantime, sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
4. Once (A) is cooled*, add the beaten eggs, vanilla extract and oil, and mix thoroughly. Finally, pour the entire mixture into the cocoa/flour and stir till well combined. The final batter should be runny.
* Very important that (A) is cooled before you add the eggs, else you will cook the eggs and end up with custard!
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it in the steamer. Make sure that your cake tin is NOT touching the water. Cover the top of the pan loosely with a sheet of aluminium foil.
6. Steam over medium heat for 45mins.
7. Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.
Chocolate Frosting (my own creation)
- 100g semisweet chocolate
- 100g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk (added slowly until desired consistency is achieved)
Combine the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie and let them melt. Add in milk a little at a time until desired consistency is achieved. You do not need to finish using up the milk. Let frosting cool and thicken before decorating your cake.
Special request by birthday boy. Made by me & deco by Yannie
Special gift from Yee Ma
My Do Re Me