I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest (MFF) Pahang month
hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2
Recipe adapted from WendyinKK
1 Whole Chicken (1.6 kg)
1-2 tbs Shao Xing hinese Wine (Optional)
1 tbs salt
1 spring onion
90gm chinese chives
1/3 cup oil
4 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs saseme oil
1. Rub salt and shaoxing wine all over chicken, inside out.
Steam the chicken on medium heat for 35minutes or until done.
2.Wash chinese chives, shake the water and spread out the chives in a colander/basket. Place it
under the fan and let it air dry until it is no longer wet.
3. Slice the chives into 5-7mm lengths.
4.Peel ginger and slice in 1cm thick slices. Smash each ginger slice with the side of the cleaver.
Finally chop the ginger.
5. In the dry pan, put in ginger and dry fry it until it smells good.
Put ginger into a heatproof bowl (don't use plastic). Put 2/3 of the
sliced chinves over the ginger.
6. Using the same pan, heat oil until it is very hot. Put in the other 1/3 of
chives, gently stir it around and immediately pour this boiling oil into the raw 2/3 of chives.
Let it sit for about 20 secounds then gently stir it.
7. Add in sesame oil and soy sauce.
8. Serve chicken and nam separately or you can pour the nam over the chicken.